An Historical and Comparative Encyclopaedia of Chinese Conceptual Schemes
General Editor: Christoph Harbsmeier 何莫邪; Associate Editor: Jiang Shaoyu 蔣紹愚
Synonym Groups / Detail Page (Sample Record)
|Synonym Group Label||STUDY|
|Classical Chinese Label||學|
|Modern Chinese Label||學|
|Definition||INVESTIGATE THINGS OR IMITATE ANOTHER so as to STRIVE FOR SKILLFULNESS, KNOWING AND UNDERSTANDING.|
1. The dominant word is xué 學 (ant. jiào 教 "train teach")which refers primarily to studying or training under another person, and secondarily to the learning by heart texts. Very often, the word retains a tinge of immitation.
2. Shī 師 and cóng 從 refer to deciding to study under someone and treating him as one's teacher.
3. Kǎo 考 refers to an investigation of a subject in a "scientific" spirit.
4. Jiū 究 and yán 研 refers to an in-depth study of a subject, typically involving a fair amount of reflection.
5. Zhì 治 and gōng 攻 refer to the specialised study, typically of a certain text.
6. Xí 習 refers to rehearsal of what one has learnt, through repetition of text and/or through enactment in practice.
HUANG JINGUI 2006